as completed by Sylva in 1986
Born to Donald Bleak and Sylva Gates Bleak, April 4th 1947
Age to 10 years old:
I was born in Los Angeles in 1947 and have fond memories of my home there. My sister was born when I was 3 and I do not recall activities with her too much until I was 8. There are a lot of pictures though. I remember my little friends quite well. They were all older than me and up until a certain age, they let me play with them. But I remember the day I was not invited to a birthday party for the first time. My mom's explanation was that they were older and wanted to have the party for the older girls. I was crushed.
I remember one day when my mom was ironing and I had no one to play with. I asked her what I could do and she told me to use my imagination. It did not satisfy me very much, I felt let down.
But I did and still do have a vivid imagination. I used to use the lawn mower to make trails in the backyard. I loved to play cowboys and Indians and I always had to be the Lone Ranger. I enjoyed playing army with boys and when I play dress up or dolls I usually played alone because I liked my make-believe stories better than my girl friends. I had one girl friend, my age, who lived next door. We played together a lot but we fought constantly. I'll never forget the day that we finally worked out a solution to a bike riding problem. It was the first time we'd ever compromised on anything and I learned that you could still have fun even if you only got your way half of the time.
When I was 8 we moved to La Habra. it was about Halloween and two things helped me break the ice. I could really kick the kickball playing 3 flies up (the girls were impressed). Also, my mom made a great Indian costume for me to wear.
I was a pretty good student but always remember that boy or girl who never missed any on their spelling test or math test.
Things I liked about this age were: Girl Scouts, school choir at Christmas, learning to dance rock and roll, playing miniature gold with my family on Sundays and having hot fudge sundaes afterwards.
Things I disliked were: boys chasing me, boys in general scared me (I always wished I'd had a brother so I'd understand boys). I had a hard time with piano lessons, my fingers just wouldn't cooperate and I tried ballet but quit just before the final recital because I couldn't remember all the French names for the movements.
Age 11 to 20 years old:
These were busy years. I had a couple of close girl friends. It meant a lot to be friends with someone during Jr. High. We learned to play tennis, we got diaries and trasistor radios together, we went to parties and were in school plays.
Then came high school. Being college bound, the classes were hard but I got A's and B's. Girls athletics was my outlet along with church activity, a fraternal girls organization and school politics. I think the year I was the most happy was my Sophmore year. I remember too how superficial everyone seemed my Senior year. Deep friendships took too much time. I'm sure it was because we were all working hard and trying to make up our minds about the future.
As it turned out I got married right after graduation to a young man I'd known since 5th grade. I went to work and he went to college. I remember how grateful I was for the one typing class taken as a freshman. I t was the only thing that prepared me for the working world and I was grateful for that skill.
The things I liked about this age were: turning into a young woman, going to Palm Springs and the beach, learning to sew and cook from my mom, formal gowns and my first corsage and sports.
The things I did not like were: friends talking behind your back and feeling insecure.
Age 21 to 30 years old:
These were probably the highest and lowest years of my life. I had four precious sons born all healthy and strong. They taught and continue to teach me patience and commitment. One son proved to be a special challenge as he has learning disabilities.
During this time I had severe marital problems that brought on all the feelings of anger, frustration, rejection, loss, insecurity and guilt. With counseling we were able to stay together and try to work things out. When I was 29 our youngest son was born and he brought real joy and sweetness into a home that needed something to be happy about.
My happiest years were in Solvang where my second son was born. It was beautiful there, I could walk with my boys in the stroller to any place I want to go, we bought our first tiny home and felt really fulfilled.
The things I like best about these years were: a 10 week trip to Europe the year before my first son was born, the birth of each child, some important leadership positions I held in the church, and learning to become a happy homemaker in spite of diapers.
The things I disliked were: the difficulty in communicating with my son who has learning problems, losing the love of my husband, and for a period of time finding it hard to smile or laugh genuinely.
Age 31 to 39 years old.
These years have been more complicated but not as tragic. Or maybe my ability to cope has improved.
The year before my husband and I finally separated I had to go back to work full time. After 8 months though, we were financially stable and I was able to take a 5-hour job that I've had ever since and that is ideal for a working mom.
My husband and I separated when I was 34 and because I had known for many years that it would probably happen it was not a difficult adjustment. After a year and a half we decided to get a divorce. This again was not a difficult time because we tried very hard to remain friends and to do whatever was best for our children.
Being alone for 5 years has not always been easy but I've had wonderful friends and family who have always been there for me. My children are a constant source of liveliness and surprise.
The things I have liked about this time are: babysitting in the summer to be home with my children, going on lots of outings as my children became old enough, going back to school and to make some goals for the future.
Things that I have found difficult are: the periods of feeling lonely, not getting enough sleep at night, approaching my 40th birthday and the recent passing of my Dad.
I would like to add a few things for the benefit of my children, Richard Bryce Johnson, Brook Curtis Johnson, Jeremy Bleak Johnson and Don Christopher Johnson.
When I decided it was time to go back to college I prayed earnestly for guidance. My prayers were answered in ways that seem very special to me. All the plans for going back feel into place and the course of study that I chose was Interpreting for the Deaf. Since we have no friends or family who are hearing impaired this choice may seem a little unusual (it did to me) but I felt a strong pull in that direction and so followed. I started in the Spring of 1984 and have done well in all of my classes but signing has been very difficult to remember because I did not have anyone to practice with. At the beginning of 1986, I felt strongly that I should begin to pray for a way to use the sign language that I was learning so that I could become proficient. I can remember the need being so strong that I use to sign in my prayers because somehow that brought me closer to what I wanted to say. Well, my prayers have been answered and on December 1, 1986, I began working for the County Schools at Chino High School in the Class for the Hearing Impaired. It has all come about so beautifully that I know my Father in Heaven has lead me and prepared me and brought me to this point in my life. I love my work. I still do not know why I am doing this work but I know that in the future there will be a need and I must be ready to fill it. One of my goals is to serve a mission for the Lord to the deaf community. I really look forward to that.
Now I would like to bear my testimony on this 23rd day of December, 1986:
I know my Father lives
And loves me too,
The Spirit whispers this to me
And tells me it is true,
And tells me it is true.
He sent me here to Earth
By faith to live His plan,
The Spirit whispers this to me
And tells me that I can,
And tells me that I can.
To my sons and posterity and anyone who may read this, I want to testify to you that I know my Father lives. That His Son Jesus Christ is my elder brother and my Father spiritually. I have made many mistakes in my life for which I have pleaded for forgiveness and because of Christ's atoning sacrifice in my behalf my Heavenly Father has been merciful to me and I feel the sweet peace and comfort of knowing that I am accepted of my Heavenly Father and upon my continued faith and works will be able to come forth to meet my Savior and to enter into the rest of God my eternal Father. I know this can happen for me and can happen for anyone who is willing to try to the best of their ability to love God and Christ and to stay open to the promptings of the Holy Spirit.
I would like to close by adding my journal entry for August 26th, 1986, two days before my Dad passed.
"Daddy much more sedated so that he doesn't struggle so. His skin was very yellow today but he was peaceful. Mom looked stronger today. I was very tired. My home is a bit of a shambles and there doesn't seem to be any end. I must work, I must keep a home and happy, healthy children, and I must support my mom and dad at this trying time. The latter being a labor of love, the middle also. But I'm not sure of the quality of my efforts in any of these undertakings. School starts in two weeks and I need to find work for the early afternoon. I'm so grateful to know that Heavenly Father knows my future and will allow opportunities to cross my path at the very moment of need. The process is always so miraculous to me."
I know that the things that I have written are true and will always be true because they happen over and over in my life. The future? Well, that is in God's hands. I will continue to work hard professionally and spiritually and try always to be lead by the spirit. May you strive to do the same for therein will be found the peace that passeth all understanding. And remember the counsel of our loving Father in Heaven, "Be still and know that I am God". I say these things in the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, amen.
Sunday, August 26, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment